Our department has been operating since January 2011 on the basis of the social assistance law of 18 December 2009 and of the grand-ducal regulation relating to it.
That law established the right to social assistance, intended to enable all individuals to lead a life that reflects human dignity, with their active participation.
The social welfare office is a public body with a board of administration (comprising a delegate from each commune), administrative personnel (receptionist, secretary) and social welfare personnel (three social welfare assistants).
It serves the residents of the communes of Boulaide, Esch-sur-Sûre, Goesdorf, Lac de la Haute-Sûre, Wiltz and Winseler.
Social welfare office tasks
In accordance with Article 8 of the grand-ducal regulation of 8 November 2010 enacting the law of 18 December 2009 governing social assistance, “the office is entrusted with the following tasks:
- To explain to the claimant the rights to which he/she is entitled, under the laws and regulations in force;
- To indicate to the claimant the formalities to be completed in relation to his/her social situation and, as needed, to help him/her with these measures;
- To ensure the claimant is enrolled for social security and, if necessary, to undertake his/her enrolment;
- To guide the claimant towards the specialist departments most appropriate to his/her needs;
- To encourage the claimant in taking all measures that will enable him/her to improve his/her personal situation;
- To support the social welfare claimant until his/her personal situation has stabilized;
- To establish, as needed, an intervention plan adapted to the personal situation of the welfare claimant and to help the claimant in managing his/her finances;
- To evaluate, together with the welfare claimant, the targets achieved from the intervention plan;
- To check and periodically update the files relating to assistance, services and interventions;
- To accept, as far as possible, powers of attorney pronounced through the tutelage courts;
- To provide financial or material assistance as an advance or supplement, if the services provided under the Luxembourgish or foreign legislation do not cover, in good time or sufficiently, the needs identified and confirmed by the social inquiry and the available data;
- To undertake social inquiries and establish the social diagnostics relating to them;
- To oversee the coordination and good conduct of the various interventions and measures.”